welcome to our blog!

This blog tells the story of our 22-month sailing journey from Oakland, California, to Bristol, Rhode Island, aboard our beloved Bristol 32 sailboat, Ute. Please feel free to browse through the archives (partway down the sidebar to your left) to see pics and read stories of our adventures in North America and Central America . (Sorry the first 3 months of the trip are missing - they vanished somewhere in an internet cafe in Mexico - but all you're missing is CA, Baja and Western Mex).

If you're trying to track us down now that we're landlubbers, try us at uteatlarge at yahoo dot com. Thanks!

Friday, September 29, 2006

we finally got to see the red version of local poison dart frogs, for which Bastimentos is famous. And to answer the question someone asked last time we posted a poison dart frog picture, no, it isn't dangerous to pick them up...you would have to ingest the frog, or at least lick it, to get poisoned (unless you have an open wound on the hand you pick it up with - then you're a goner. Luckily, Mother Nature does not count mosquito bites as open wounds). The poison is an alkaloid neurotoxin secreted from glands in its back... and those smart kids over at Smithsonian discovered that the poison ingredients are actually sequestered by the frog from small invertebrates that it eats (kind of like how flamingoes get their pigment from the little inverts they eat). So the poison is actually manufactured by ants and mites and little buggies like that, and it is just concentrated in one place by the frogs. Good trick! A tiny frog like this has enough poison to kill about 20 people. You would have to kill the frog and squeeze the poison juice out to use it on your blow-darts though - you can't just rub the arrows on the frog's back (damn).
As it turns out , despite their diminutive size, these little red guys are some of the most poisonous of all poison dart frogs. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So Cute!

What do they eat? Why nocturnal?